Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Few Favourites from 2011.......

Since I was a kid there has never been a year that a mind boggling amount of stellar albums have not been released. Every genre from around the globe, year in and year out and to date has never stopped. Anyone out there, (and I'm sure we all know someone)who constantly utters the line; "there hasn't been a good album released since______", is clearly a fucking moron who lives with their head firmly up their ass! By and large as I've said before, there is actually an overwhelming amount of mind blowing releases 24-7 and it's virtually impossible to keep up with any of it. My list to the left here is barely touching some of my stellar and repeated listening adventures of the past year. My "tops" lists are always based on records released in the year in question and usually also based on the repeat factor or "go to" categorization. It ain't scientific, it's always from the heart. In all honesty, the vast majority of my listening time this and every year for that matter (which I know is far more than most) has been spent listening to a large variety of music recorded and released prior to 1975. I am not stuck there by any stretch but I will say that although I like a lot of newer artists (look at what I play on the radio) I will say that my criteria for "great" new shit is that it must exhibit for me a reverence and understanding of it's own existence in history and part and parcel, it’s very presentation. Sound strange? Maybe, but always remember, that a person’s tastes in music is nothing but their very own business. There's lots to discover out there, old and new and it seems to never end.....bring it on I say!

1 comment:

Markuss Carcass said...

for fuck's sake, there hasn't been a good album released since 2011!

nice lookin' list.

mark mcintyre